Do you wish to develop a multimedia messaging app like Snapchat? But you don’t know about Snapchat in detail. Don’t worry! here we are to solve your problem. The article will cover every point of Snapchat you need to know before developing your app. First, you should know what Snapchat is.
What is the Snapchat App?
The Snapchat App is a multimedia messaging app that allows users to share images and videos. The images are usually short, self-destruct within seconds after being viewed, or the camera will deactivate. The most recent update to Snapchat has introduced a feature called Snap Map, which shows where someone else has been on the app at any given moment when using it as a GPS tracking tool. Snapchat also offers filters that overlay stickers and photos onto users’ photographs post-sharing.
It was developed by Bobby Murphy, Evan Spiegel, and Reggie Brown while they were students at Stanford University. Snapchat was released on July 1, 2011. It rose to prominence in 2013 when the app was rumored to have surpassed Twitter in daily active users and became the most downloaded free application in the App Store history.
Snapchat at a Glance, Multimedia Messaging App
- Founder:– Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, Reggie Brown
- Founded:- September 2011
- Developed by:- Snap Inc.
- Operating System:- Android, iOS
- Type of services:- Photo sharing, instant messaging, Video chat, Multimedia
- Website:- http://www.snapchat.com/
Latest Snapchat Trends you should know about
The number of users of Snapchat is increasing daily. It had over 293 million active users worldwide in the second quarter of 2021.
- There is an estimation that over 4 billion snaps are posted each day.
- It holds 6th rank in the most popular messaging app and 12th position in the most popular social media platform.
- As per the report in the second quarter of 2020, Snapchat had opened 30 times per day by the average user.
- Every day over 210 million Snaps are created.
- Females use Snapchat more than males. Around 56% of users of Snapchat are female, while only 44% are male.
- The largest age group that uses Snapchat is between 25-34 years old, approximately 22.3% of the total user base. 20.5% of Snapchat users are between 13-17 years old.
- The US is the country that has the most Snapchat users, around 105 million. After the US, India comes second. India has 99.8 million Snapchat users. No other country comes close to both countries.
- Snapchat has reached $33 billion in revenue.
- The estimated revenue of Snapchat for 2021 is $2.62 billion.
- During holidays, Snapchat users spend 280 million more hours.
- The most followed Snapchat creator is Kylie Jenner.
Let’s Discuss Your Project
Get a free consultation and let us know your project idea to turn it into an excellent digital productGET A FREE CONSULTATION
How Does Snapchat Make Money? Business Model Canvas
Many companies have taken the initiative to create on-demand mobile applications like Snapchat, you should know how it works and what business model it follows. These things will help you to get challenging ideas while developing your mobile application. Let’s see the model canvas of Snapchat.
- Snapchat community
- Publishers, media companies
- Presenting platform where users communicate and share memories with friends with the help of images and videos.
- Public relations
- Customer service
- Millions of daily active users
- Lenses and Geofilters
- Communicate through unique lenses to make creative and fun photos & videos
- Living the moment
- Expressing yourself
- Knowing the world
- Private messaging through self-destructing messages. It means the content is deleted quickly after reading without privacy concerns.
- Community-driven app with users creating and sharing stories and snaps,
- Fun & friendly interaction with customers.
- Machine learning technology to understand customer behavior better.
Acquisition & retention
- Snaps are directly sent to users’ inboxes to keep updated with news and events.
- The apps can run on both platforms, i.e., Android or iOS.
- Advertisers and marketers
- Young people aged 13 to 34
- Fixed costs- customer service, app development, and maintenance
- Variable costs- marketing & development, Research & Development, Public relations, etc.
- Advertising ( sponsored Geofilters and lenses, Discover)
- User purchase
- News apps
- Social media
- Word of mouth
- Video platforms
- Celebrity endorsement
- App store and Google Play
Core Technologies of Snapchat Clone App
The followings are the core technologies of the Snapchat clone app-
- Augment Reality
To make pictures more attractive and creative, Snapchat provides augmented reality filters to its users.
- Machine learning
Machine learning is an artificial intelligence technology that executes in many Snapchat operation sections.
- Face detection
It is one of the essential features of Snapchat that plays an integral part in framing and editing photos and videos.
A feature in Snapchat known as Snap map gives you data on your friends’ current locations. Anyone can see only if someone permits them to see their locations.
How to Monetize Multimedia Messaging Apps like Snapchat?
Following are the essential ways to monetize social media apps like Snapchat. Readout all the parameters carefully. Moreover, the apps will be based on building cross-platform application methodologies.
1. Branded Geofilters
Snapchat allows brands to build Snapchat filters of their own. Users can search for fun augmented reality filters depending on the geolocation. The filters stay free for 30 days. The app prices businesses $5 for coverage of 20,000 square feet.
The primary revenue of Snapchat comes from advertising. These ads are designed mainly for upward mobile screens. These ads show in the form of 6-10 seconds videos. These ads are engaging & interactive, allowing users to swipe up and enter videos, app downloads, or blogs. Snap will charge around $3,000 per month for ads.
3. Discover Section
If you aim to build an app like Snapchat, you should choose it as your primary option. It will display your moments in your story so nobody can miss them. According to the user’s situation and choices, Snapchat’s algorithm shows systematized content.
4. Sponsored Lenses
This approach is comparable to Geofilters. It fluctuates according to day like-
- Ad charges for ads are around $4,50,000 per day if the ads run from Sunday to Thursday.
- It will charge you around $5,00,000 daily for running ads on Friday and Saturday.
- The price will rise around $7,00,00 for celebrations and special occasions.
What are Famous Snapchat Terms?
Some terminologies used generally in Snapchat will confuse you if you are new to Snapchat. If you aim to build a Snapchat clone app, you should add these terminologies to make your app look more attractive and appealing. The followings are some popular terminologies of Snapchat-
- Snapchatters- Snapchatters are the users of Snapchat.
- Snap- Those videos or photos taken on Snapchat are known as Snap.
3. Snapback- If somebody sends you a Snap, you respond on the Snap. It is Snapback.
- Story- It may be a video or photo your followers will see for 24 hours.
- Score- It shows the number of snaps received and sent by you.
- Here- It is an option given by Snap to go live video chat with a person if the person is online.
How to Make a Multimedia Messaging App like Snapchat?
The followings are the step that you should follow to make a multimedia messaging app like Snapchat-
1. Do Market Research for Snapchat Clone App
It is the initial and significant step to follow. You have to consider things before starting your app development. You should study the market and discover who your competitors are. In the initial stage, you should keep the following things in mind-
- About your target audience
- Who are your competitors?
- What are the needs of your business?
- What is the budget?
- The requirements of your app and the features you want to include
2. Start Prototyping
Prototyping is the step where experts build rough wireframes that show you how your app will look and the functions of your app so that you can solve the impurities and problems of your app before the final stage.
3. Select your desired platform
In this step, you must consider which platform is beneficial for publishing your app. It might be Android, iOS, or both. It depends on your budget and your target audience. It will be beneficial if you choose both platforms for your app because it will be available to many audiences.
4. UI/UX Design of App like Snapchat
In this step, you design your app. It is responsible for the attraction of your app. A better design will attract more users. You must ensure that your app is attractive, appealing, user-friendly, and engaging, just like Snapchat.
After designing your app, you can start coding. You can add desired features to your app with the help of coding.
It is a crucial step. It is responsible for finding bugs and errors in your app. This step will help you in rectifying your mistakes and add more functionalities.
7. Marketing strategy
A good marketing strategy will make your app popular and help you to make your app available to a broad audience. Market your app on social media and other influential platforms. Always make a strong marketing strategy at least two months before the launch date.
8. Launch time
It is your final stage. Launch your app in both the play store and the app store. Also, market your app on social media so that the users will know about it from the beginning.
Top features of Snapchat
Some top features of Snapchat that you should include in its clone app. The followings feature are-
- Fascinating stickers
Features like fascinating stickers are suggested to make your communication more impactful and exciting.
- Adding new friends
Everybody likes to meet new people and make new friends. Snapchat gives you this feature not only in a conventional way, but you can also add it through SnapCode and Add nearby function.
- Stories and Discover option
It is one of the most common features used by every social media. It is a function where a user shares a video or photo for 24 hours in their profile. Users’ followers and friends can see it.
- Video and audio call
It is another feature that is highly used by many social media. You can communicate with friends through audio or video calls.
If you are 18+, you can use this feature. Under this feature, you can send money to your friends.
Best Snapchat alternative apps for 2022
The followings are some best Snapchat alternative apps-
Want to Build An App Like Snapchat?
Our skilled professionals helps you build an amazing multimedia messaging app like Snapchat. To know more,Request A Quote
How much does it cost to develop an app like Snapchat?
It is not fixed and fluctuates as per your need. It depends on what types of features you want to add to your app. It is estimated that it will cost you approximately $45,000-$60,000.
In the article, we discussed multimedia messaging apps like Snapchat. We covered all the points that you need to know before developing a multimedia messaging app like Snapchat. Hope that the article will help you to understand the critical points related to development. You can also check the ultimate mobile app marketing stats.